Thursday, October 21, 2010

Marriage Expectations


I have been in grooming school for 12 days now and it has been exhausting. I had yesterday off, and I thoroughly enjoyed it with my husband. You know what we did? Absolutely nothing! Well, not nothing because we went to a few of our favorite stores, but we vegged a good portion of the day.

Today, when I had to go back to work, I was sad. I wanted to spend every moment with my husband. This got me to thinking about my marriage. I have always known that I wanted to be a wife. It is just one of those things I have known I wanted since I was a little girl! I always expected marriage to be an amazing thing, two people going through life moving toward the same goal. To be happy no matter what the circumstances.

Life has tested those expectations. Juli and I have been through a lot compared to some, and nothing compared to others. We have only been married for six and a half years and compared to my grandparents who were married for 48, it is just getting warmed up. I like to think that we have grown as people, and a couple because of these experiences. I have learned so much from my husband. I have learned to be patient, to be content, to love life to the fullest. I am proud to be a wife and that sadly has become a lost art these days. I love what Julia Stiles' character in Mona Lisa Smile says about never regretting to be a wife, and that the stero types Julia Roberts was trying to break them of were the same standards she herself was putting on those who TRULY wanted to be a wife.

Did I expect marriage to be wonderful? Of course! Did I expect marriage to be a walk in the park? Of course not! But the one thing I NEVER expected was that one person could impact your life and change it for the good so incredibly, that even if your life was perfect before, it pales in comparison to your life with this person. Those type of expectations are the kind I can look forward to as the years grow sweeter and sweeter!





Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post! I love reading about how much you love your hubby. Quite refreshing! A happy marriage to your best friend is a great thing to have! :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you. Shout out, type, or use the unimind...but make your mark!