Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I always took for granted


Growing up in a very small town in Maine, there are sadly some things I took for granted. One of them is my American citizenship. My husband was born in El Salvador. He was born during a terrible civil war. Six months after his birth, his mother began the process of coming to America. She had to leave her son with her mother for two years. She worked and saved till she, one by one, was able to bring all of her children to the U.S. Julio was four when he came. They entered at an Arizona airport and then traveled to Maryland. He remembers little things.

Two things stand out for him. His first candy bar was one that one of the immigration ladies gave him. It was a Snickers bar and he said he remembers because the bottom looked like tire tracks.

The second was when they arrived in Maryland. There was snow on the ground and he had never seen it. He also didn't have a coat and was freezing. Another one of the ladies traveling with them went and got him a coat!

Julio grew up here. We always joke that the only thing Spanish about him is his name! What I never realized is how extensive the Naturalization process is. Shortly after arriving, Julio's mother hired a lawyer to help with all of the paper work. First you must become a legal alien allowed to work. Since they had amnesty due to the civil war, this was rather difficult. The next step was acquiring a green card, which means you become a permanent resident. This process takes the longest. After 5 years, you can then apply for naturalization. Sadly, their lawyer took off with thousands of dollars that were meant to go towards their paperwork, and they had to start all over again.

Just last year Julio has qualified to apply for naturalization. After scrimping and saving for the OUTLANDISH fees :), we finally were able to apply. Generally the whole process takes 6-9 months. We put in the first stage in April and now he is only one step away from Citizenship!!!!!!! What a blessing!!!!!

I took for granted what being born in this wonderful country means. I do not have to worry about being sent back to a country that live in filth and doesn't have clean water to drink. I don't have to worry about people accepting me based on my nationality. I don't have to deal with people assuming I can't speak English. What a trooper my husband is. He has been so patient and so understanding. I am so thankful he has shown me the glory of being born free.


Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you. Shout out, type, or use the unimind...but make your mark!